A+ A-
Select Page

Other international qualifications

Currently if you hold overseas qualifications obtained outside the EU or hold non-recognised UK qualifications, you will need to pass ARB’s Examination for Equivalence to Prescribed Qualifications (also known as the ‘Prescribed Examination’) to progress towards registering as an architect in the UK.

Once you have satisfied Part 1 and Part 2 requirements, either by obtaining qualifications or by passing the Prescribed Examination, you will then need to obtain a UK Part 3 qualification from a UK school of architecture. Please note if you hold EU qualifications at degree level, that is equivalent to Part 1, you will be required to sit the examination at Part 1 level as the Directive does not provide for qualifications at degree level only.

For Part 1 Examination you must have successfully completed a three-year course of study; for Part 2 you must already hold Part 1 and have completed two further years of postgraduate study in architecture.

If you hold qualifications that are not principally in architecture, for example, you have a degree in Interior Architecture, Interior Design or Architectural Technology, it is unlikely you will be eligible to sit the examination unless you fall under the current transitional arrangements set out here.

You can find full details of eligibility requirements in the Board’s Prescribed Examination Procedures.

We have signed Mutual Recognition Agreements with National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) & Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (AACA) and the New Zealand Registered Architects Board (NZRAB) which will open in the next few months on 25 April 2023 and 15 May 2023 respectively. Before applying for the Prescribed Examination please check with the above-mentioned relevant authority as to your eligibility via this new route.

Please also read our FAQs regarding the MRA’s.

NCARB and ARB Mutual Recognition Agreement Information
AACA, NZRAB and ARB Mutual Recognition Agreement Information