Select Page

If you obtained your qualifications in the European Union and have not previously been registered as an architect in the United Kingdom, you can apply for registration using our online portal.

You can use this facility even if you have made an unsuccessful application in the past. Applying for registration online is both quick and secure, and can be done at a time and place that is most convenient for you.  If you require any help or a reasonable adjustment to assist in making an application, please get in touch with us using any of the contact details at the foot of this page.
You do not have to complete your application form in one sitting. As you progress through each step, the information you provide will be saved automatically so you can log out of the portal and log in again later to continue working on your application. Your application will only be submitted to us once you have completed it in full and your payment transaction has been completed.
We are unilaterally recognising certain EU qualifications until new arrangements are put in place between ARB and our EU counterparts. This extends the system of recognition which came into effect on 1 January 2021. Under this system of recognition we are relying on a ‘frozen’ version of Annex V.7.1 of Directive 2005/36/EC (the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications Directive) (MRPQD) for registration purposes, as it existed at 11pm on 31 December 2020.
To submit your online application you must pay all relevant fees online via WorldPay (ARB’s online payments agent) using a credit or debit card. We accept MasterCard, Debit MasterCard, Visa Credit, Visa Debit, Visa Electron, Maestro, and JCB.
Your regular business address
You will be asked to provide your business address or place of work where you can be found during working hours. (If you do not have a business address, you will need to supply an alternative address to be published in the Register of Architects.)
Documents you will need to have to hand
It is essential that you provide these documents. Failure to provide any of them will delay the application process and in some instances applications will be returned and the application fee will be applied.

Proof of ID and nationality

You are required to provide proof of identity and nationality. You will need the following:

  • A copy of your passport, or a copy of your national ID card

There is no requirement to be an EU national to make use of this route

Evidence of qualification (Degree, diploma, certificate)

You are required to provide: A copy of your degree certificate as listed in the frozen version of Annex V.7.1 Update February 2020.

Access Certificate (if applicable)

A copy of any access certificate that is required in your home state, for example, in Italy the l’esame di Stato is required to gain access to the profession and in France the Habilitation de l’architecte diplômé d’Etat à l’exercice de la maîtrise d’oeuvre en son nom propre (HMONP) (Ministère chargé de l’architecture) may be required.

If you have obtained access to the profession of architect in a state other than that in which you obtained your professional qualification as listed in the frozen version of Annex V.7.1 of the MRPQD, you cannot make use of this route. You will need to obtain a UK Part 3 qualification before you are eligible to join the Register.

Competent Authority Statement

A list of competent authorities can be found here. This document must confirm that you hold a qualification as listed in the frozen version of Annex V.7.1 of the MRPQD and that you have met any access requirement in order to access the profession in home state. This must be no more than 12 months old when submitted.