Postgraduate Certificate in Architectural Practice
At its meeting of 5 March 2020, the Board decided that the above qualification should be prescribed for the period 5 March 2020 to September 2025,* under Section 4(1)(a) of the Architects Act 1997 for the purposes of entry onto the United Kingdoms Register of Architects.
Prescription is subject to the Standard Conditions set out in the Board’s Procedures, namely:
- The University of Bath’s Postgraduate Certificate in Architectural Practice (18 months,** part-time apprenticeship) qualification should be prescribed for the period 5 March 2020 to 20 September 2025.*
- Prescription of the qualification shall be by reference to the Programme Specification – submitted with the application on 7 August 2019 – for the Postgraduate Certificate in Architectural Practice (18 months,** part-time apprenticeship) qualification. No change may be made to the title of any course or qualification or substantial change to the content so defined within a programme specification (allowing for normal course development) without first obtaining the written permission of the Board.
- Annually by 31 March – commencing on 31 March 2021 – the institution will be required to provide the Board with information of the nature set out in Appendix 2 of its Procedures to enable the Board to see that
- All its Criteria and the relevant requirements set out in Article 46 (or Article 47) of the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications Directive [2005/36/EC] have been attained by all candidates awarded the prescribed qualification;
- Adequate systems are in place to ensure that all the Board’s Criteria will be met by candidates for the period of prescription;
- The institution’s resources remain as set out in its application and are adequate; and
- All of the factors referred to in Sections 2.2 and 2.3 of the Procedures continue to be demonstrated, and any conditions of prescription continue to be met.
- The institution will ensure that appropriate procedures will be maintained so that all candidates undertaking a prescribed qualification are fully informed of the extent of the application of that qualification to entitlement to registration as an architect in circumstances in which the candidate lacks a required antecedent qualification, e.g. Part 2 without Part 1.
- Following each and every set of examinations, the institution shall be required to submit to the Board its pass lists of graduating cohorts who have received the prescribed award.
The Board was confident that:
- The course proposal – including the educational aims, the intended learning outcomes, the assessment criteria etc – has been designed with the clear aim of ensuring that all those who receive the qualification will have met all the Criteria;
- Systems are in place to ensure that all the Criteria will be met by all candidates receiving the qualification for the
period of prescription; and
- The institution has adequate resources to maintain and, where appropriate, increase the achievements of candidates meeting all the Criteria.
* At its meeting of 27 February 2023, the Board agreed to extend prescription until 31 December 2028.
**On 6 June 2022, the Board approved a change to the duration of the qualification to one year, effective from 3 October 2022.