Master of Architecture
Renewed until 20 September 2025
On 19 June 2020, the Board decided that the above qualification awarded by the University of Bath should continue to be prescribed until 20 September 2025 under Section 4(1)(a) of the Architects Act 1997 for the purposes of entry onto the United Kingdom Register of Architects. Prescription of the qualification is subject to the following Standard Conditions set out in Section 13.0 of the Board’s Procedures, namely:
- The University of Bath’s BSc (Hons) Architecture (4 years, full-time); Master of Architecture (2 years, full-time); Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Practice (1 year, part-time) qualifications should be prescribed for the period from 21 September 2020 – 20 September 2025;
- Prescription of the qualifications shall be by reference to the Programme Specifications, submitted with the application of 8 November 2019, for the University of Bath’s BSc (Hons) Architecture (4 years, full-time); Master of Architecture (2 years, full-time); Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Practice (1 year, part-time) qualifications. No change may be made to the title of any course or qualification or substantial change to the content so defined within that Programme Specification (allowing for normal course development) without first obtaining the written permission of the Board;
- Annually by 31 March each year, commencing on 31 March 2021, the institution will be required to provide the Board with information of the nature set out in Appendix 2 of its procedures to enable the Board to see that i. all its Criteria and the relevant requirements set out in Article 46 (or Article 47) of the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications Directive [2005/36/EC] are being attained by students who have been awarded the qualification prescribed; ii. adequate systems are in place to ensure that all the Board’s Criteria will be met by students for the period of prescription; iii. that the institution’s resources remain as set out in its application and are adequate; and iv. all of the factors referred to at paragraphs 10.2 and 10.3 of the procedures continue to be demonstrated; and
- The institution will ensure that appropriate procedures will be maintained so that all students undertaking a prescribed qualification are fully informed of the extent of the application of that qualification to entitlement to registration as an architect in circumstances in which the student lacks a required antecedent qualification e.g. Part 2 without Part 1.
- Following each and every set of examinations, the institution shall be required to submit to the Board its pass lists of graduating cohorts who have received the prescribed award.
The Board’s reasons for these recommendations are that it considered that there was sufficient evidence in the material submitted in support of the application as supplemented by the institution’s additional explanations to enable it to be confident that:
- All students/candidates who had been awarded the qualifications since prescription of the qualifications was last renewed had met all of the Criteria;
- the institution had adequate systems in place to ensure that students/candidates awarded the qualifications met all the Criteria; and
- the institution should be able to maintain its ability to ensure that all students/candidates awarded the qualifications meet all of the Criteria.