BA (Hons) Architecture
On 27 January 2020, the Board decided that the BA (Hons) Architecture (3 years, full-time) and Master of Architecture (2 years, full-time) qualifications awarded by the University of Ulster should continue to be prescribed until 22 February 2023 under Section 4(1)(a) of the Architects Act 1997 for the purposes of entry onto the United Kingdom Register of Architects. Prescription of the qualifications is subject to the following Standard Conditions set out in Section 13.0 of the Board’s Procedures, namely:
- The University of Ulster’s BA (Hons) Architecture (3 years, full-time) and Master of Architecture (2 years, full-time) qualifications should be prescribed for the period 23 February 2020 to 22 February 2023;
- Prescription of the qualifications shall be by reference to the Programme Specification, submitted with the application of 23 May 2019, for BA (Hons) Architecture (3 years, full-time) and Master of Architecture (2 years, full-time) qualifications. No change may be made to the title of any course or qualification or substantial change to the content so defined within that Programme Specification (allowing for normal course development) without first obtaining the written permission of the Board;
- Annually by 31 January, commencing on 31 January 2020 the institution shall be required to provide the Board with information of the nature set out in Appendix 2 of the Procedures for the Prescription of Qualifications (November 2019) to enable the Board to see that:
- All its Criteria and the relevant requirements set out in Article 46 (or Article 47) of the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications Directive [2005/36/EC] have been attained by all students/candidates awarded the prescribed qualification;
- Adequate systems are in place to ensure that all the Board’s Criteria will be met by students/candidates for the period of prescription;
- The institution’s resources remain as set out in its application and are adequate; and
- All of the factors referred to at Sections 10.2 and 10.3 of the Procedures continue to be demonstrated, and any conditions of prescription continue to be met.
- The institution will ensure that appropriate procedures will be maintained so that all students undertaking a prescribed qualification are fully informed of the extent of the application of that qualification to entitlement to registration as an architect in circumstances in which the student lacks a required antecedent qualification e.g. Part 2 without Part 1.
- Following each and every set of examinations, the institution shall be required to submit to the Board its pass lists of graduating cohorts to have received the prescribed award.
The Board’s Procedures for the Prescription of Qualifications (November 2019) are now effective and this letter reflects the revised Standard Conditions of Prescription.
In addition to the standard conditions of prescription, the Board agreed that the following special conditions should be put in place for both the BA (Hons) Architecture and the Master of Architecture qualifications, and that these should apply with immediate effect. The special conditions will therefore apply to both the current period of prescription which ends on 22 February 2020 and the new period of prescription which will run for the period 23 February 2020 to 22 February 2023.
- That as part of the update on staffing required within its annual monitoring submission due to be submitted on 31 January 2020, and all subsequent years of the prescription period the institution must provide an explicit update on additional staffing put in place;
- That as part of its next annual monitoring submission due on 31 January 2020, the institution must provide a detailed update on the outcomes of the review of the institution’s Protocol for the Management of Professional and Statutory Body relationships; and
- That the institution must provide the Board with its External Examiner reports immediately following receipt of these reports in summer/autumn 2020, rather than waiting to submit these as part of its next annual monitoring submission.