Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Practice
On 19 June 2020, the Board decided that the above qualification should continue to be prescribed until 20 September 2025* under Section 4(1)(a) of the Architects Act 1997 for the purposes of entry onto the United Kingdom Register of Architects.
Prescription is subject to the Standard Conditions set out in the Board’s Procedures, namely:
- The University of Bath’s Bachelor of Science in Architecture with Honours (four years, full-time); Master of Architecture (two years, full-time);** Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Practice (one year, part-time) qualifications should be prescribed for the period from 21 September 2020 to 20 September 2025.*
- Prescription of the qualifications shall be by reference to the Programme Specifications – submitted with the application of 8 November 2019 – for the Bachelor of Science in Architecture with Honours (four years, full-time); Master of Architecture (two years, full-time);** Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Practice (one year, part-time) qualifications. No change may be made to the title of any course or qualification or substantial change to the content so defined within a programme specification (allowing for normal course development) without first obtaining the written permission of the Board.
- Annually by 31 March – commencing on 31 March 2021 – the institution will be required to provide the Board with information of the nature set out in Appendix 2 of its Procedures to enable the Board to see that:
- All its Criteria and the relevant requirements set out in Article 46 (or Article 47) of the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications Directive [2005/36/EC] have been attained by all students/candidates awarded the prescribed qualification;
- Adequate systems are in place to ensure that all the Board’s Criteria will be met by students/candidates for the period of prescription;
- The institution’s resources remain as set out in its application and are adequate; and
- All of the factors referred to at Sections 10.2 and 10.3 of the Procedures continue to be demonstrated, and any conditions of prescription continue to be met.
- The institution will ensure that appropriate procedures will be maintained so that all students/candidates undertaking a prescribed qualification are fully informed of the extent of the application of that qualification to entitlement to registration as an architect in circumstances in which the student/candidate lacks a required antecedent qualification, e.g. Part 2 without Part 1.
- Following each and every set of examinations, the institution shall be required to submit to the Board its pass lists of graduating cohorts who have received the prescribed awards.
The Board was confident that:
- All students/candidates awarded the qualifications since the qualifications were prescribed or last renewed have met all of the Criteria;
- The systems used by the institution to ensure that all students/candidates awarded the qualifications have met all the Criteria are adequate, and will continue to ensure that the Criteria are met for the future period of prescription: and
- The institution’s future plans and commitment are such that the institution will maintain its ability to ensure that all students/candidates awarded the qualifications meet all of the Criteria.
* At its meeting of 27 February 2023, the Board agreed to extend prescription until 31 December 2028.
** At its meeting of 9 December 2019, the Board approved an additional mode of delivery – three years, part-time apprenticeship – effective from 9 December 2019.