BA (Hons) Architecture
The Board, at its meeting of 12 May 2017, decided that the above qualification should be prescribed until 1 June 2022 under section 4(1)(a) of the Architects Act 1997 for the purposes of entry onto the United Kingdom Register of Architects.
Prescription of the above qualification is subject to the standard conditions set out in Section 5.4 of the Board’s procedures, namely:
- Ravensbourne/The University of the Arts London’s BA (Hons) Architecture (3 years, full-time) should be prescribed for the period between 1 June 2018 – 1 June 2022;
- Prescription of the qualification shall be by reference to the Programme Specification, submitted with the application of 29 April 2016, for Ravensbourne/The University of the Arts London’s BA (Hons) Architecture (3 years, full-time) . No change may be made to the title of any course or qualification or substantial change to the content so defined within that programme specification (allowing for normal course development) without first obtaining the written permission of the Board;
- Annually by 31 January each year, commencing on 31 January 2019, the institution will be required to provide the Board with information of the nature set out in Appendix 2 of its procedures to enable the Board to see that i. all its criteria and the relevant requirements set out in Article 46 (or Article 47) of the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications Directive [2005/36/EC] are being attained by students/candidates who have been awarded the qualification prescribed; ii. adequate systems are in place to ensure that all the Board’s criteria will be met by students/candidates for the period of prescription; iii. that the institution’s resources remain as set out in its application and are adequate; and iv. all of the factors referred to at paragraphs 6.6 and 6.7 of the procedures continue to be demonstrated; and
- The institution will ensure that appropriate procedures will be maintained so that all students undertaking a prescribed qualification are fully informed of the extent of the application of that qualification to entitlement to registration as an architect in circumstances in which the student/candidate lacks a required antecedent qualification e.g. Part 2 without Part 1.
The Board can be confident that:
- The course proposal including the education aims, the learning outcomes, the assessment criteria etc., had been designed with the clear aim of ensuring that all those who received the qualification would meet all the criteria;
- The institution had adequate systems in place to ensure that students awarded the qualification would meet all the criteria; and
- The institution had in place adequate resources to maintain, and where appropriate, increase the achievement of students in meeting the criteria.
Further to the above, the Board, at its meeting on the 14 May 2020 agreed that prescription should continue to be subject to the following special conditions being attached to prescription of the University of the Arts London and Ravensbourne University London’s BA (Hons) Architecture and BA (Hons) Interior Design Environment Architectures qualifications with immediate effect:
- That Ravensbourne University London must provide the final July, September, and November 2019 Examination Board minutes for both the University of the Arts London and Ravensbourne University London’s BA (Hons) Architecture and BA (Hons) Interior Design Environment Architectures qualifications as soon as these have received full institutional approval and that the contents of these minutes are considered by ARB to be satisfactory.
- That the Lead Examiner provides a written report in terms satisfactory to ARB within three weeks of the summer 2020 Examinations and any subsequent re-sit Examination Boards.
- That Ravensbourne University London amends and provides to ARB in advance of the summer 2020 examinations its External Examiner policy to make explicit the University’s expectations in terms of PSRB/ARB related teaching and examining experience;
- That a visit to Ravensbourne University London by ARB’s External Advisers should be undertaken at the time of the summer 2020 External Examiner visit. During this visit Ravensbourne University London must demonstrate and present clear evidence of the following:
- That the ability of Ravensbourne University London staff to understand and comply with the requirements of both the University of the Arts London and the Ravensbourne University London Marking Criteria/Grade Descriptors within the assessment process;
- The explicit use of assessment sheets for all qualifications to demonstrate attainment of ARB Criteria at Part 1 level and moderation of marking;
- That all of the Criteria at Part 1 level, particularly in relation to GC6 and GC10, have been met by all graduating students at the threshold standard; and
- All four of the External Examiners must be available to meet the External Advisers at the time of the visit.
- That ARB’s External Advisers attend the Ravensbourne University London and University of the Arts London’s July, September, and November 2020 Examination Boards at Ravensbourne University London.
- That the Board is satisfied that those Examination Boards have been run in accordance with the relevant institutional regulations, and that the student marks set out in the Examination Boards correspond to the marks awarded to students at the point of assessment.
- That the Board review its opinion as to whether prescription of the identified qualifications should be revoked with effect from 1 June 2020 following the outcome of the November 2020 Examination Board.
- That any application to renew prescription from 1 June 2022 be made no later than 1 May 2021, with the notification to renew being submitted no later than 1 March 2021.