Prescribed qualifications are subject to annual monitoring under the Standard Conditions of prescription.
All annual monitoring should be submitted to Qualifications@arb.org.uk.
The following guidance is not exhaustive. Please refer to the associated pages and documents linked to below for more details.
When applying for prescription, institutions choose an annual monitoring submission date; and, once prescribed, each institution is responsible for making submissions on time every year.
An institution submitting annual monitoring on time or not affects the Board’s confidence in that institution and its qualifications, and will typically have an impact on the length of future periods of prescription.
Details of the information that must be submitted for annual monitoring can be found in Appendix 2 of the Procedures for the Prescription of Qualifications (the Procedures) and in the Annual Monitoring Form, which must be completed and included with each submission.
The material expected includes the following:
- External examiners’ reports for each prescribed qualification, and the institution’s response(s) to those reports;
- Reports of external bodies/reviews, and the institution’s response(s);
- Reports from internal reviews, including student feedback;
- Student/candidate progression information, including numbers of students/candidates in each cohort for each prescribed qualification, and pass/failure rates (with an explanatory commentary where necessary);
- An updated staff list of all involved in the delivery of the prescribed qualification(s) – use the Staff List Template;
- Details of any changes to resources (space, facilities, IT etc) in the last year;
- Details of any changes to the title and/or content of a prescribed qualification (see below), with the rationale for those changes; and
- Any other information indicating that any condition of prescription may not have been met in some material respect.
Within their annual reports (or in an accompanying statement), all external examiners are expected to explicitly confirm (based on the sample seen) whether all graduates receiving the qualification had met all of ARB’s Criteria at the relevant level.
The Annual Monitoring Form additionally asks the institution to report on how it is responding to the current pandemic, and to ARB’s guidance on fire and life safety design, and environmental sustainability.
Changes to qualifications
The Standard Conditions of prescription require institutions to notify ARB of any changes affecting a prescribed qualification. These can be notified either as part of an annual monitoring submission, or separately at any other point during the year.
Changes that must be notified include changes to the content, title, delivery, and awarding body of a prescribed qualification.
The notification should clearly set out the changes being made and rationale; the date(s) the changes will come into effect; transition arrangements; and be accompanied by the new course documentation.
Where changes impact on the mapping of the qualification to ARB’s Criteria, an updated mapping document should be provided (using ARB’s Part 1 mapping template or Part 2 mapping template for changes to Parts 1 or 2 qualifications). Notification of a title change should include a sample of the new award certificate.
More details about qualification changes and the information institutions should submit can be found in Appendix 3 of the Procedures.
ARB cannot formally consider changes until they have received full approval from the institution. However, where significant structural changes to a qualification are being considered, it is strongly recommended that the institution discusses these with ARB in advance of any changes being made. This will allow us to provide guidance on the proposed changes and whether the qualification will continue to meet the Board’s requirements.
If there are any queries about whether a change should be notified or the information that should be submitted, please contact ARB at Qualifications@arb.org.uk.