Professional Conduct Committee
The Professional Conduct Committee (PCC) is a committee constituted in its own right under Schedule 1, Part II of the Architects Act, to consider allegations of unacceptable professional conduct and serious professional incompetence against architects. When sitting, it is usual for three members to form the Committee - one architect, one lay member and one Law Society nominated member. If the PCC finds the architect guilty of the alleged charge(s), it can impose one of a number of disciplinary sanctions under section 15 of the Architects Act 1997:
- issue a reprimand (a warning)
- impose a penalty order (a fine) of up to £5,000
- suspend an architect from the Register for up to two years
- order that an architect’s name be erased from the Register
The PCC can also make a disciplinary order following a criminal conviction for an offence which has material relevance to an architect's fitness to practise, or it can clear the architect of the alleged charge(s) if it finds they are not guilty.
PCC hearings are held in public, and its decisions are published on ARB’s website. News releasesreporting the outcome of a hearing are issued in appropriate cases.
The PCC’s Terms of Reference are set out in the Investigations and Professional Conduct Committee Rules.
The PCC’s membership is made up of:
- four architect members of the Board, including at least one whose address in the Register is in Scotland, or (if there is no architect member who is willing to act) three architect Board members and one architect whose address in the Register is in Scotland
- three lay members of the Board
- three solicitors nominated by the President of the Law Society
- sixpeople appointed by the Board, including three architects, at least one of whom must have an address in Scotland
It is not considered good regulatory practice for Board members to sit on the Board’s own Professional Conduct Committee, so in practice only appointed members sit on panels of the Committee.
Current members of the PCC are:
Julian Weinberg (Chair) (Law Society Nominee)
Paul Housego (Law Society Nominee)
Emma Boothroyd (Law Society Nominee)
David Kann (Architect)
Roger Wilson (Architect)
Judy Carr (Architect)
Stephen Neale (Lay)
Jules Griffiths (Lay)
Martin Pike (Lay)
PCC members are subject to the Professional Conduct Committee’s Code of Conduct and Practice.
In line with the Act, Board members of the PCC are:
Jason Bill (Architect)
Guy Maxwell (Architect)
Richard Parnaby (Architect)
Alex Wright (Architect)
Alan Jago (Lay)
Ros Levenson (Lay)
Nabila Zulfiqar (Lay)